Did you think only children suffer from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? Think again.
As the name explains, those affected have a short attention span and are hyperactive or even impulsive. Symptoms start in childhood, mostly before the age of 12 years. However, they can continue into adulthood if not adequately managed.
Are Narcotics the answer?
Modern medicine treats ADHD with stimulants such as Ritalin, Concerta, and so on – that is, medicines that fall under narcotics legislation in many countries. It is but natural for parents to want an alternative for their child. Here is where Homoeopathy comes into the picture.
Is there proof that Homeopathy helps? Yes!
In the Swiss ADD / ADHD double-blind study, a research team proved under rigorous scientific conditions that homeopathy is effective in hyperactive children [Eur J Pediatr: 164 (2005): 758-767]. Furthermore, the long-term follow-up of the study participants over five years shows that 75% of all patients can be treated adequately with homeopathy alone, and that prolonged homeopathic treatment reduces the symptom intensity by about 50 percent, even after treatment is stopped.
Case Study: little N, aged 4 years.
The first time N came in with his parents, he was literally bouncing off the walls. His poor mother spent almost the whole time chasing after him to make certain he didn’t injure himself or others. He refused to sit or even stand in the same place for more than 5 seconds. Before the question even came to an end, he was shouting out answers. The parents had obviously reached their wits end when he was prescribed a strong drug which had side-effects on his balance. The poor chap was still running at break-neck speed but falling all over himself. His speech was delayed and he had a very limited vocabulary of single words.
After analysing his case and prescribing an individualized Homoeopathic remedy, we saw him again in 2 weeks. This time he actually sat in one place for a whole 5 minutes! In the months that followed he went on to speak in full sentences, he slept better and was no longer on the run the whole time. His mother had tears in her eyes when she explained how he had recently said his own name.
What are the symptoms of ADHD? (Source: www.mayoclinic.org)
There are mainly 3 types of ADHD-
- predominantly inattentive
- predominantly hyperactive/impulsive
A child/adult who shows a pattern of inattention may often:
- Fail to pay close attention to details or make careless mistakes in school/office work
- Have trouble staying focused in tasks or play
- Appear not to listen, even when spoken to directly
- Have difficulty following through on instructions and fail to finish schoolwork or chores
- Have trouble organizing tasks and activities
- Avoid or dislike tasks that require focused mental effort, such as homework
- Lose items needed for tasks or activities, for example, toys, keys,assignments,
- Be easily distracted
- Forget to do some daily activities, such as forgetting to do chores
Hyperactivity and impulsivity
A child/adult who shows a pattern of hyperactive and impulsive symptoms may often:
- Fidget with or tap his or her hands or feet, or squirm in the seat
- Have difficulty staying seated in the classroom or in other situations
- Be on the go, in constant motion
- Run around or climb in situations when it’s not appropriate
- Have trouble playing or doing an activity quietly
- Talk too much
- Blurt out answers, interrupting the questioner
- Have difficulty waiting for his or her turn
- Interrupt or intrude on others’ conversations, games or activities
Concerned that you or a loved one might have ADHD? Take this quiz to get a rough idea.
Still not convinced ADHD can be homeopathically treated? Watch this video from the Homeopathy Research Institute that studied 20 children with ADHD for a year.
Do yourself/ your child a favour and treat ADHD without narcotics. Call or e-mail us for an appointment.