The human body is a unique creation of nature. Contrary to the powerlessness we feel against disease; we are in fact are gifted with a powerful defense mechanism. Our immune system.
However, immunity can get suppressed by irregular or disagreeable diet, unhealthy lifestyle and various addictions. One must learn simple methods to maintain or enhance immunity. Immunity can be greatly improved by proper diet, exercise, rest and a disciplined lifestyle.
Does the concept of maintaining our inherent immunity have a place in medicine? Shouldn’t it?
Doctors prescribe drugs to cure a disease and to restore good health. Interestingly, the philosophy of conventional medicine is: “Fall ill and then be treated”. In addition to this tenet, Homoeopathy focuses on preserving and enhancing your immunity.
We often see that after a course of antibiotics our appetite goes down, our taste buds get blunted and we feel drained. Although the doctor says we have improved, our symptoms have gone away and our blood tests are normal; have we truly improved? Because we certainly don’t feel our 100%…
As I researched how one may naturally improve immunity, I found myself going down the ha-ha path.
Something as simple as laughter can go a long way in keeping us healthy; not just by helping the immune system but by having beneficial effects all over the body. Let us see how-
- Your diaphragm moves more while laughing, increasing the volume of the lungs as also the process of expansion and compression supplying more oxygen to the blood. Thus, more oxygen is supplied to the body, increasing its vitality.
- Laughter increases the secretion of digestive enzymes, evacuates the bowel well and stimulates the pancreas to control sugar levels.
- Laughter is also beneficial in controlling blood pressure by reducing the release of stress-related hormones and bringing about relaxation. Similarly, if you are at high risk of developing heart disease, laughter could be the best preventive medicine. Laughter improves blood circulation thus reducing the chances of clot formation.
- Laughter helps as a natural pain killer by increasing the levels of endorphins, thus benefiting those with painful conditions like arthritis, spondylitis and muscle spasms.
- Laughter also helps delay ageing by making you look younger. It is an exercise for your facial muscles and additionally improves the tone of your abdominal muscles.
- Negative emotions like anxiety, anger, sadness are said to weaken the immune system thus reducing the ability of the body to fight infections. Laughter helps increase the count of natural killer cells and antibodies(IgA)- both actively involved in defending the body against harmful infections. Also, it stops destruction of infection-fighting antibodies.
The key to good health is already within you! Why look for it elsewhere? Go get your dose of laughter today and keep the doctors away!
Other Interesting facts:
- As per the WHO statistics, approximately 70% of illnesses do not require medication.
- Of this 70%, 40% are attributed to stress. The stress that bears down on the mind and brain ends up affecting the nervous system and our immunity. This leads to the production of excessive enzymes and hormones in the body that affect the skin, respiratory system, digestion thus giving rise to skin disorders, asthma and other illnesses.
- The balance 30% are caused by infections and are usually fought off by the body’s own immune system. Not all need antibiotics. Simple home remedies can help alleviate them.
- Basic medication and investigations are required for 25% of illnesses. Only 5% of the total illnesses require advanced investigations and medical treatment, including hospitalization.
- Homoeopathic medicines help to build up your immunity; they fight alongside our fighter cells in the body thus encouraging the body’s defence unlike suppressive treatments which oppose the body’s natural healing mechanisms.
- Homoeopathic medicines seek to alleviate your disease symptoms as well as improve general health. After a course of medication, it is important to feel better, not just driving the symptoms of the disease away.
- Hence, getting well under Homoeopathy also means better sleep, good appetite, healthy skin and hair, tons of energy and an active immune system.
About the Author:
Dr. Khaliqua Ali being the youngest member of the team; makes it a point to go the extra mile. She is an enthusiastic participant of the Homoeopathic camps for the underprivileged, organized through the clinic. She does her best to help her patients out through Homoeopathy and believes a lot of good comes out of holistic healing methods like naturopathy and acupuncture. Hypnotherapy and psychotherapy are among her pet interests. Dr. Ali is available for consultations at the clinic from Mon to Fri, 4pm to 6pm. +91 99221 90527